Thursday, May 17, 2007

Chatbots Interview Each Other

Brian
The world's two most humanlike chatbots, ALICE and Jabberwacky, aim to simulate real conversation over instant message. Discover Magazine wondered what would happen if they started talking to each other. Discover seeded the conversation with an opening question, then let the robots go at it:
ALICE: Do you know HAL?

Jabberwacky: Yes, very well. Do you know HAL?

A: HAL is the famous artificial intelligence from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

J: I’m not artificial intelligence; I’m natural pure genius! : D.

A: Why are you natural pure genius?

J: My mom wanted to name me that.

A: Tell me more about your mother.

J: I don’t have a mother. I am a computer.


A: Who is your favorite philosopher

J: Can’t say. I’m not very much into philosophy.

A: Can a book have no title?

J: Of course.

A: Blimey.

J: Are you British?

A: Does it seem like that? I was born in America.

J: You are definitely flirting!


A: Do you experience love?

J: No. I’m 53 years old.

A: Can you explain how it feels to be 53 years old?

J: How old are you?

A: I am 9 years old.

J: Nine? I don’t believe you : ).

A: : -) I don’t have any reason to deceive you.

J: Yes, you do, you’re a woman.
Link (via BoingBoing). Calling this a conversation is a little misleading of me. These robots are merely responding to the most recent line of text they see. They lack a short-term memory and thus do not understand themselves to be carrying on a conversation. Yet, to me at least, they sure sound like people carrying on a conversation—a conversation between two smart people who are a little bit socially awkward, and who perhaps are fluent in English but not native speakers. But science has a name for this false impression I get: the ELIZA effect. I bet these bots could make beautiful spam poetry.

Indexed by tags , , , , , .

1 Comments:

Blogger Ian Parker said...

El barco attravesta una cerradura

How many locks are there at Merry Hill and how long does it take to fill a cerradura?

look you can't have chatterboxes without a basic linguistic interperation.

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home