Wednesday, April 11, 2007

American Airlines Launches Dumbed-Down, Stereotype-Laden "Women's" Website

Brian
I suppose it demonstrates good intentions that American Airlines launched a website "dedicated to connecting women who travel." But do women need things to be pink and simpler?
Psssst. Women like clothes. Mention that on the site. This is awesome. They're totally going to fly our airline now. Make the search box pink, and get rid of all those "tools," women hate tools.
Link (via Feministing). I can't decide if my using the women's search box rather than the one for the general public will only encourage them, but I kind of want to.

[UPDATE: American has changed the page entirely due to complaints.]

Indexed by tags , , , , , .

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

now that's lame, being a woman I am kind of insulted. Is the majority of women really that inept?

12:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to the site. There is, indeed, a set of pages dedicated to "Women's Travel," but I cannot find any search or reservations page directed at women.

My guess is that it's a graphic that someone put together to make a point -- but it's a misleading one.

I'm not defending the site, but am just trying to promote accuracy. Be angry, but be angry at the right things.

11:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't find the pink page either. Has anyone found it? I don't think it exists.

11:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I am going to skim the website for American Airline brand tampons and kotex...

10:02 PM  
Blogger Mary Popins said...

Hello. I find your blog very interesting. Judging from my experience American Airline is really great. They get you to the airport, get you safely to the place of your destination and then the baggage is safe every time you travel with this airline company. On www.pissedconsumer I learned more about the customer service of American Airline. Customers share their negative and positive experience.

6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home