Wednesday, March 28, 2007

How John McCain's MySpace Page Hacked Itself

Brian
Why would anybody want to contact John McCain about design help? That's what Mike Davidson thought when he first looked at John McCain's campaign page on MySpace. In fact, Davidson knew the real reason McCain had such an announcement on his site:
You see, John McCain's people commandeered my world-renowned MySpace design template and did a few things wrong:

1. They did not credit me for the template, even though the template explicitly requested credit.
2. They used my own unmodified imagery, specifically for the "Contacting John McCain" table.
3. As if #2 wasn't bad enough, the McCain crew is actually pulling their image directly from my server on each page load. So every time someone visits the McCain MySpace page, my bandwidth is being used to deliver part of the page! Bad McCain!

So...
The "design help" note may have been the tell-tale sign, but I'm partial to the "gah!" aside after the Block link. What's a computer-savvy sometime MySpace-page designer with images from McCain's site unwantedly hosted on his own server to do?
So, the only thing necessary to effectively commandeer McCain's page with my own messaging was to simply replace my own sample image on my server with a newly created sample on my server. No server but my own was touched and no laws were broken. The immaculate hack.
Link (via Metafilter). The result had a mix of technical know-how, political awareness, and juvenile humor worthy of, well, just about any political blog:

Indexed by tags , , , , .

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

bahahaha! LOVE it!

3:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home