Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Borat: Cultural Learnings With A Grain Of Truth

The Grave Digger


Last weekend I had the pleasure of seeing the Borat movie film. I don't think I have anything unique to add to the mounting praise and criticisms; let me just say that, hilarity aside, the move offers a wide variety of offensive material, from bizarre sexist remarks to gratuitous nudity.

Given that Sacha Baron Cohen, the actor portraying Borat, is not a native to Kazakhstan, I understood that most of Borat's ramblings were based on humor rather than fact. At one point, Borat sings the fictional Kazakhstan anthem, 'O Kazakhstan', citing Kazakhstan’s superior export of potassium.

I thought it was a bunch of horse shit. Turns out, I was right.

Indexed by tags , , , , , , .
Image Credits: Borat, courtesy Reuters, borrowed for news-reporting and comment purposes.

1 Comments:

Blogger The Good Reverend said...

I didn't get to see Borat yet, but after reading this Slate piece comparing Baron Cohen to vaudeville minstrels, I want to.

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home